last updated on July 29, 2019
Please read the following carefully to understand how we will collect, use and maintain your personal information. This Policy also describes your choices regarding use, access and correction of your personal information.
By subscribing to be a user of Diligen, you are agreeing to the terms of this Policy. This Policy is a legally binding agreement between you as a user of Diligen (referred herein as “you”, “your” or “user”) and Diligen Inc. (referred herein as “Diligen”, “we”, “our” or “us”).
You, as a user of Diligen, may have subscribed directly on your own behalf, or may have obtained an account provided by your employer. This Policy applies to both cases. If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com. If you use the Diligen Services as part of an organization that has an enterprise agreement with Diligen (like your employer), the terms of that organization's contract for the Diligen Services may restrict our collection or use of your information more than what is described in this Privacy Notice.
Changes to This Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes, we will notify you by revising the "Last Updated" date at the top of this Policy and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you an email notification). If there are material changes to this Policy, we will notify you more directly by email or means of a notice on the home page prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to review our Policy whenever you access the Diligen Services to stay informed about our information practices and the ways you can help protect your privacy. If you disagree with any changes to this Policy and do not wish your information to be subject to the revised Policy, you will need to deactivate your Diligen account or cancel your Diligen subscription. Your use of any of the Diligen Services after the posting of such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
What information do we collect?
We may collect certain user information (including personal information or sensitive personal information) as described below:
Information You Provide To Us. We collect information you provide directly to us including when you visit our website, register for or use one of the Diligen Services.
For example, we collect information when you register with Diligen for an account, create or modify your profile and online account, access and use the Diligen Services, apply for a job, request customer support, or communicate with us via third-party social media sites.
The types of information we may collect directly from you include your name, username, email address, information about your data storage preferences, employer's name, transactional information (including services purchased or subscribed to and billing address) as well as any contact or other information you choose to provide. We also store the files or other information that you upload or provide to the Diligen Services ("Content") in order to be able to provide you with the features and functionality of the Diligen Service.
The information of third parties such as name, email address, etc. as may be provided to enable the functionality and features of the Diligen Service. For example, if you invite a user to Diligen, we will collect their email address in order to provide them with an invite to the Diligen Service in order to collaborate on the Content you designated.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Diligen Services. When you access or use the Diligen Services, we may automatically collect information about you, including:
Usage Information: We monitor user activity in connection with the Diligen Services and may collect information about the applications and features you use, the number of files you upload, the sizes of the files you upload while using the Diligen Services, the Content you access and any actions taken in connection with the access and use of your Content in the Diligen Services.
Log Information: We log information about you when you access and use the Diligen Services including your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, access times, browser type and language and Internet Service Provider ("ISP").
Google reCAPTCHA: We use “Google reCAPTCHA” (“reCAPTCHA”) on the publicly accessible pages of the Diligen Services (like a login page or a forgot password page). This service is provided by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”).
reCAPTCHA is used to check whether the data entered on a webpage (such as the email address on a forgot password page) has been entered by a human or by an automated program. To do this, reCAPTCHA analyzes the behavior of the website visitor based on various characteristics. This analysis starts automatically as soon as the website visitor enters the website. For the analysis, reCAPTCHA evaluates various information (e.g. IP address, how long the visitor has been on the website, or mouse movements made by the user). The data collected during the analysis is forwarded to Google.
The reCAPTCHA analyses take place completely in the background. Website visitors are not advised that such an analysis is taking place.
How do we use the information we collect?
We may use the information collected for the limited purpose of providing the Diligen Service and related functionality and services, as described in this Policy and as permitted by applicable laws. These limited purposes include circumstances where it is necessary to provide or fulfill Diligen Services requested by or for you or where you have given us your express consent.
The information may be used to perform a variety of purposes, including to:
- Provide, operate, maintain and improve the Diligen Services;
- Enable you to access and use the Diligen Services, including uploading, downloading, collaborating on and sharing Contentand sending emails on your behalf;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Provide and deliver the services and features you request, process and complete transactions, and send you related information, including purchase confirmations and invoices;
- Respond to your comments, questions, and requests and provide customer service and support;
- Communicate with you about services, feature, and provide other news or information about Diligen and our select partners;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Diligen Services;
- Investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions, unauthorized access to the Diligen Services, and other illegal activities;
- Personalize and improve the Diligen Services, and provide content or features that match your interests and preferences or otherwise customize your experience on the Diligen Services;
- Enable you to communicate, collaborate, and share files with users you designate; and
- For other purposes about which we will provide you with prior notice as described in the "Changes to This Policy" section.
By accessing or using the Diligen Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries and territories, which may have different privacy laws from your country of residence.
Sharing and Disclosure of Information
We will not share personal information about you or any Content with any third parties except as described in this Policy or in connection with the Diligen Services. For example, we may share personal information about you including as follows:
- Vendors, Consultants and Other Service Providers: We may share your information with third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and require access to your information to carry out that work, such as to process billing, provide customer support, automated server monitoring, etc. If required, these service providers are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide services to Diligen or Diligen Services.
- Amazon Web Services, Inc.
- Sentry (Functional Software, Inc.)
- Stripe, Inc.
- Google, Inc.
- Corporate Account: If you are an individual Diligen registered user and the domain of the primary email address associated with your Diligen account is owned by your employer and was assigned to you as an employee of that organization, and such organization wishes to establish a Diligen corporate account, then certain information concerning past use of your individual account may become accessible to that organization's administrator including your email address.
- For Collaboration: We may share your information, including when you choose to use collaboration features in the Diligen Services that by their nature support sharing with third parties who you choose. Your name, email address, information from your profile and online account, and any Content you choose to share will be shared with such third parties, and such third parties may communicate with you (such as by posting comments or emailing you) in connection with your use of the collaboration features of the Diligen Services.
- Third Party Applications: Diligen provides you with opportunities to connect with third- party applications or services, such as through our Clio or NetDocuments application partner ecosystem. If you choose to use any such third-party applications or services, we may share information about you including your username and any Content you choose to use in connection with those applications and services, and such third parties may contact you directly as necessary. This Policy does not apply to your use of such third-party applications and services, and we are not responsible for how those third parties collect, use and disclose your information and Content. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of those third parties before connecting to or using their applications or services to learn more about their information and privacy practices.
- Compliance with Laws: We may disclose your information to a third party if (a) we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (b) to enforce our agreements, policies and Terms of Service, (c) to protect the security or integrity of the Diligen Services, (d) to protect Diligen, our customers or the public from harm or illegal activities, (e) to respond to an emergency which we believe in the good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person or (f) to any other third party with your prior consent.
- Business Transfers: We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
The following is a list of our current third party vendors:
While no service is completely secure, Diligen takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. For example, we encrypt your Content when it is stored in our data centers.
The servers on which personal information is stored are kept in a controlled environment with limited access. While we take reasonable efforts to guard personal information we knowingly collect directly from you, no security system is impenetrable. In addition, we cannot guarantee that any passively-collected personal information you choose to include in documents you store on our systems are maintained at levels of protection to meet specific needs or obligations you may have relating to that information.
You may access your account information and our service only through the use of an individual registered user account and password. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused. In addition, always logout and close your browser when you finish your session. Please note that we will never ask you to disclose your password in an unsolicited phone call or email.
If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Account Information & Retention. You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account and modifying your information or by emailing us at email@example.com. We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy. If you wish to deactivate your account, you can do so by logging into your account and deactivating it or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time. We will respond to your access request within 30 days.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Upon request, Diligen will provide you with information about whether we hold, or process on behalf of a third party, any of your personal information that we are aware of. To request this information, contact us at email@example.com.
Promotional and Newsletter Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional and newsletter emails from Diligen by following the opt-out instructions provided in those emails. You may also opt-out of receiving promotional emails and other promotional communications from us at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific request. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as security alerts and notices related to your access to or use of the Diligen Services or those about your online account or our ongoing business relations.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies or to prompt you before accepting such a cookie. Please note that, if you choose to remove or reject browser cookies, this could affect the availability or functionality of the Diligen Services.
We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our website in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name and company.
Any questions about this Policy should be addressed to email@example.com or to:
123 Edward Street, 2nd Floor